The webcam doesn't work with Discord? Try this. If your webcam refuses to work with Discord, you've come to the right place. Read on for tips, tricks and solutions that will get your webcam up and running in no time. Note that most of these problems stem from software-related bugs or a lack of updates. There are rare cases of hardware-related problems, so be sure to test your webcam for visible damage.
The webcam doesn't work with Discord? Try this
While you need to update your webcam drivers regularly, here are some particular fixes that can fix the issue on Discord. Start with changing the method you use Discord. So, if you are using the browser version, download Discord for your device and vice versa.
You can also uninstall Discord from your computer and reinstall it using the link above. Also, the official Discord team suggests removing the webcam from Device Manager. When you remove the camera, you can easily reinstall it. Follow the instructions:
- Open Device Manager on your computer.
- Find your webcam, right-click and select Uninstall device.
- The camera will be removed from the computer. Unplug it and plug it back in. Run the installation as you did before.
Try using your webcam in Discord again. The complete reinstall should fix the problem for the Discord part. If the problem persists, continue applying general fixes until your webcam resumes working.
The webcam doesn't work with Discord? Let's check the webcam
After making sure your webcam is not damaged, test it with another app that requires a camera. Best for testing is the built-in camera app. Follow the instructions to quickly check your cam on a Windows computer:
- Make sure you have connected the camera correctly unless you have a built-in laptop webcam.
- Press the Win key on your keyboard and look for the Camera app in the Start menu.
- Select the Camera app and it will launch automatically.
- If the camera app works, the problem is with Discord.
- If your camera isn't working, listen to Windows and disable any antivirus software that may be preventing the camera from recording. If your camera is connected properly and nothing is blocking it, it may need a driver update. Windows 10 webcam not working?
Update the webcam drivers
Updating the webcam driver is a walk in the park on a Windows computer with an Internet connection. You can get the update manually, using Device Manager:
- Tap the Win key on your keyboard.
- Enter Device Manager in the search field and select the app in question.
- Find your camera in the device list.
- Right-click on the webcam name and select the Update Driver option.
- Allow your computer to search for automatic updates.
If necessary, you can use a third party app for updates. Note that many of them are not free. These programs automatically search for updates and allow you to update all drivers with the click of a button.
You can also use Auslogics to perform a single driver update for free. Each subsequent driver update will take longer, extending the time it takes to wait for updates. It's not perfect, but at least you can use it for free.
Update your video card drivers
You can also try to reset your computer after updating the driver. If updating the camera driver doesn't help, maybe updating the GPU will. Your graphics card is responsible for displaying the image on your computer screen, so it makes sense that it can be responsible for any bugs or visual problems.
If you are an NVIDIA user, please visit the official downloads page, select the graphics card series, operating system, etc. And download the latest update. If you are using AMD graphics, please visit the official drivers page and support page. Here you can select your graphics card and get the upgrade you need.
Of course, you can also use dedicated graphics software from Radeon or NVIDIA, which will automatically update your graphics drivers. The choice is up to you; both manual and automatic updates work without problems. How to update video card drivers in Windows
Did you solve the problem?
Those were the best solutions you can use to fix your webcam issues on Discord. Be sure to check if your webcam works with other apps before jumping to any conclusions. If none of the previous solutions worked for you, consider rebooting or updating your system.
System updates are essential, as are individual driver updates. Keep your drivers up to date and all your devices should work flawlessly.