PS4 how to install and use an external HD. The latest big system software update for the Playstation 4 has been released, now you can easily connect external HDs to extend the memory. Thanks to the System Update 4.50, the Playstation 4 now supports external hard drives.
This means that you can install up to an additional 8TB of memory, all you need is a USB 3.0 external hard drive. We will explain everything you need to know about how to use an external HD.
The important thing is that it has to be fast. The external HD must be USB 3.0 and must be formatted before being connected to the Playstation 4, and it can also be used to transfer games and applications.
Saves, images, files and screenshots will not be transferred automatically, they must be transferred separately. So let's see how to install and use an external HD.
PS4 how to install and use an external HD
The first step is simple - connect the external hard drive, it takes a few moments for the PS4 to recognize that it is an external HD.
Step # 1: Format External HD
- Connect the external HD to the PS4 console.
- Go to Settings -> Devices -> USB storage devices
- Select "Format as memory expansion"
- Your external HD will be formatted, thus becoming compatible with your PS4.
Do not disconnect the external HD during the process. To remove it safely, open the quick menu and select “Stop Using Extended Storage”.
Step # 2: Setting the location
- After formatting the external hard drive, the port will become the default location for all future installations and downloads.
External memory is only compatible with installation files - games and downloads. Screenshots and saved files can be transferred regularly.
- Go to Settings -> Storage and press [Options] to change the default location.
Step # 3: Transfer Files to External HD
- To transfer installed games / DLCs / applications to your external HD:
- Go to Settings -> System Storage -> Applications
- Press [Options] -> Move to external memory.
- Check the games you want to transfer to the external memory.
- Select "Move" when done.
This is all there is to know about transferring files to an external hard drive.
It is very easy.
If you have any problems use the comment box below.
If the article was useful to you, share it thanks.