So are you looking for the best PS1 emulators for your computer? We can't wait to play our favorite classics again, but as a general rule it's almost impossible or very expensive to get an old game on your hands and have fun again. A good emulator is the solution to the nostalgic needs of gamers.
While Sony has released the Playstation Classic, this new mini console only includes 20 pre-installed games. What if what you want isn't there? Well, you will need PS1 emulators for your computer.
PS1 emulator for your computer
More and more options are emerging for gamers who want to emulate games. And this time, we will talk about the PS1 emulators for PC that give you everything you need to access the best games on this console.
download an emulator for Playstation 1, we offer you our best recommendations so that you can choose the one that best suits your computer's characteristics and play without problems.
Read also: How to use a PlayStation 4 controller on Android
PS1 PC emulator
Un PSX emulator o PS1 for PC, normally, it is compatible with PlayStation 1 games (sometimes even from other consoles) and turns your keyboard into an entire video game console. Below, we present the ones that work best and what their main features are.
EPSXE is a PSX emulator compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac and Android, the latest version of which provides new thread modes al Pete OpenGL2 plug-in and includes two additional ways to add software and hardware effects.
With EPSXE you can use your gamepad in digital mode and left joystick as dpad . It also has cheat support to run games in interpreter mode and supports ePSXe version codes without any problems.
- The updated version of this PSX emulator allows you to run large games without cutting the image.
- Effects modes in software and hardware improve picture quality in some games.
- Lets use the same binder on all operating systems.
- You could have a speed problem while you play.
- If you are planning to use EPSXE on Android devices, you should know that is still in an experimental phase, so it is better to install it on your PC.
To download this emulator for PlayStation 1, you need to go to the download page and select the version compatible with your operating system. Remember to read the technical installation specifications well to improve the gameplay on your computer.
If you are looking to download a very powerful PS1 emulator, try Mednafen e access your favorite games from your PC. This program is multi-system and is powered by OpenGL and SDL.
Some of its features are the reassignment of quick access functions on the keyboard or the joystick, the saving game states, rewinding games in real time and snapshots of screenshots to save them in PNG format.
- If you install this PSX emulator with different compatible codecs, you can even record audiovisual footage in Quick Time file format.
- Supports keyboard and joystick for gaming.
- È multi-systems.
- In some action and fighting games you might have visibility problems, especially in adjacent boxes.
- È necessario install too many plug-ins in to get more functions besides PC playback.
Mednafen can be downloaded for free and, being open source, you can modify it to integrate custom functions or create new software from it. For more information, visit the forum available on the official website.
The latest version of PCSXR provides support for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU / Linux operating systems, plus additional enhancements not seen in the original PSX emulator known as the PCSXR-df Project.
PCSX-Reloaded is currently available, the creation of which is based on the PCSX-df 1.9 code. However, the project derived from the original version has no affiliation, so it works independently.
- It is a PlayStation 1 multi-platform and multi-system emulator.
- È open source for programmers.
- Provides support for Windows and Linux.
- They could happen problems when trying to connect two controllers.
- Some PS1 games they do not run on this emulator.
To get the latest version of PCSXR, you need to go to the open source CodePlex file, click on the "Download File" button and select the destination folder to start the download.
PXFINN (PSX emulator)
Another good Playstation One emulator is PXFINN (also known as PSX emulator), which can be downloaded in portable RAR format to run it from any computer and store it on a pendrive.
Unlike the other PS1 emulators on the list, the PSX emulator it is not plug-in based . It also supports inserting cheat by loading CDs and supports CDZ compressed ISO image formats.
- It is compatible with previous versions of Windows of View.
- Could be played from the disc of game original to use CEP.
- The new version is Linux compatible, then you can use the PSX emulator within the operating system.
- At the moment, the PSX emulator it is not open source, even if the developers are willing to share the source code with those who request it.
- Zinc ROM support is not supported.
- Some games might not working properly.
To know more about this PSX emulator and to know the latest news on bug fixes and system improvements, visit the official PSX emulator forum and register to ask your questions.
Retroarch is a PlayStation emulator that you allows you to play classic games from any computer and console . It also supports i original game discs and features advanced features like rewind, automatic translation, and shader.
This PS1 emulator supports Windows, Mac Os X and Linux, although it can be also run on other operating systems without problems . And if you want to play PlayStation 1 games from a mobile device, you can install Retroarch on iOS and Android.
- Besides being a PC emulator, you can also use it to play PSX games on PS2, PS3, Wii, Switch consoles and more.
- You can try Retroarch from your web browser and then download it to your computer.
- Supports any core or Core to emulate your games on PC.
- Depending on the characteristics of the image, the emulator may not support certain games.
- Sometimes a new update o kernel cannot be downloaded because it is disabled.
To play your PlayStation 1 games with Retroarch, visit the PSX emulator home page and click the download or online login button if you want to test its functionality from your browser.
OpenEmu, exclusively for Mac
If you have a Mac computer and are looking for a PS1 emulator that functions perfectly in the operating system interface, now you can use OpenEmu and enjoy a wide variety of Play Station games such as Super Mario 3, Castlevania, among others.
OpenEmu has a library of games where it is possible organize them and make backup copies of each game. You can also create collections and combine them with different consoles without any problems.
- It is compatible with any generic USB and Bluetooth game controllers.
- Some devices recognizable by the PSX emulator allow you to assign controls automatically.
- It allows you to emulate a wide range of cores and systems than the other Mac compatible PS1 emulators mentioned in this list.
- Your Mac computer may not recognize OpenEmu due to its system of restrictions to unidentified developers.
- There is an "experimental" version, but this is incompatible with Arcade systems.
You can download OpenEmu for free from its official website. Just click the download button to get the latest version of the emulator. And if you want to support the project, make a donation with the payment methods available on the platform.
BizHawk is another cross-platform PS1 emulator that offers full support for recording and Lua script. It also focuses on central accuracy and includes advanced tools for all types of players.
Some of its features are full screen game setup, controller mapping, and keyboard shortcut. It also offers the Joypad support for controllers and can record games.
- Include frame, delay and rewrite counters.
- Ha observation tools and piston thrust.
- The games they can be rewound.
- It might show a file compatibility error.
- Ha fast execution problems in some games.
You can download BizHawk for free on the Tas Videos website, where you can also participate in a support forum and answer questions regarding the operation of the PSX emulator.
Finally, there's SSSPSX, a Windows-only PS1 emulator that It allows you to play smoothly with games compatible with the Play Station 1 console . While it's free to download, it's not open source, so you won't be able to write to it.
Together with SSSPSX, it is possible download other plugins to integrate more features. You can also emulate games from other Play Station consoles and configure the interface to enhance gameplay from the screen.
- Perfectly emulates i PS1 games.
- Your download it's safe.
- Supports different plugins.
- It is a quite outdated PS1 emulator.
- It only offers support in English.
- You must have Microsoft DirectX installed or updated to use the emulator.
SSSPSX is available on the Zone emulator website. You just have to go to the download page, click on the emulator name and save it in the Windows destination folder. Remember to leave your rating to evaluate the functionality of the file on your computer.
Related article: Citra: Nintendo 3DS Emulator goes official on Android for free
Why download a PlayStation 1 emulator for PC?
There are times when you can't log into an old console, so your best bet is download a PlayStation 1 emulator to install it on your PC and have fun with classic games from Sony, Sega and other companies.
Also, the options mentioned in this list are all free to download and most of them offers support for different platforms, saving a lot of money to get an old device.
The most legendary PS1 games to play again on your PC
Most likely there are PS1 games you want to remember on your PC. For this, you need to download one of the PS1 emulators and turn your keyboard into a console. But what are the best games? We leave you with our detail TOP 30, to give you some ideas:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Final Fantasy VII
- Silent Hill
- Resident Evil 2
- Tekken 3
- Grand Touring 1 and 2
- Crash Team Racing
- Soul reaver
- Dino crisis
- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
- FIFA 98
- Driver 2
- Spyro The Dragon
- Medal of Honor
- Tomb Raider II
- Eve parasite
- Broken Sword II: The Forces of Evil
- Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
- Siphon filter 2
- Final Fantasy IX
- Suidoken 2
- ISS Pro Evolution 2
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Toca World Touring Cars
- Street fighter alpha 3
Where to download the ISOS and PSX ROMs: the best pages
If you want to download Play 1 games with emulator, you need to get the ISOS and PSX ROMs for better compatibility.
From here we don't recommend illegal downloading of anything, so we won't mention any specific website. What you can do is a quick Google search and in the first results you will find everything easily.
To do this, you just have to enter "ISO PS1" or "ISO PSX", or "ROMS for PS1" or "ROMS PSX" in the search engine. Once the file is downloaded, all you have to do is load it into the emulator.
And everything is ready to enjoy the nostalgia of your first Playstation! It may interest you: The best Android emulators for Windows PC