Xiaomi is a brand that has always been on the market with some great specs. This time the brand has arrived with the Redmi Note 9 series. For the moment the brand has unveiled only Redmi Note 9 Pro and Redmi Note 9 Pro Max. These devices don't have much difference except for the main camera sensor and the huge difference of charging speed.
TWRP recovery is probably the most used and most popular custom recovery that we all know. For those who are used to rooting and installing custom ROMs etc then they know what TWRP recovery is. However, for the gullible, TWRP recovery allows users to install custom ROMs / mods, make a full phone backup, get root access on the phone using Magisk Manager.
However, you need to have TWRP access before you can go ahead and root your Redmi Note 9 Pro (codenamed curtana). And to flash TWRP recovery image, you need to follow the guide correctly to avoid errors.
And if you have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro and are looking for ways to download and install TWRP Recovery on your phone then, you are in the right place like in this post, and we will guide you on how to download and install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro and possibly root using Magisk.
Steps to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana)
Now, before we go ahead and install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro, let's make a list of prerequisites needed to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is 60% charged before installing TWRP recovery to avoid boot loop problems during the unlocking process.
Make a full backup
Before rooting, one of the most important things you need to do on your phone is to make a full backup of your phone. For that, you can follow the guide by clicking on the link below:
- How to backup data on Android device
Turn on Developer Options
to enable thedeveloper option on your device, follow the steps below:
- Go to the menu Settings of your Android device.
- Then scroll down and go to Information.
- Now you have to go up Software Information >> More.
- Here it touches the build number 7-8 times until a message is displayed " You are now a developer ".
You also need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option in the Developer Options menu. And to do it:
- Go to Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging option and the OEM unlock option.
Install the ADB and Fastboot tools
You need to install the latest ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. For that, you can follow the link given below:
- ADB and Fastboot tools
Unlock the bootloader
To install TWRP Recovery, you must first unlock the bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Before you get started with unlocking the bootloader, I highly recommend that you create a backup of your device's memory and all your files stored on your device. Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device. Also, it is recommended that you follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or freezing of your device. If something goes wrong, the author or Guidesmartphone are not responsible.
Download Xiaomi USB Drivers
You can follow the link below to download the correct Xiaomi USB drivers for your phone.
- Driver USB Xiaomi, download
Download TWRP Recovery
Here you will find the latest and TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- Redmi Note 9 Pro TWRP Recovery
Instructions to install TWRP
Follow the step by step instructions mentioned below to install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- First, download TWRP recovery from the download section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder.
- Download the zip file of the ADB and Fastboot tools and extract its components as well.
- Copy and paste all the files extracted from the TWRP zip files into the same folders where you extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro to the PC using a USB cable.
- By pressing the Shift button on your keyboard, you open a Powershell or command prompt.
- Enter the following command in Powershell or Command Prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now once the phone has booted into Fastboot mode, run the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now enter the following command:
- That's all!
Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro using Magisk
- Now you need to install Magisk Manager APK on your phone.
- Insert it into the internal memory of your device.
- Then go to reset by pressing the button at the same time Volume up + Power on.
- Make sure you have created a backup of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- In TWRP, select Install, locate Magisk.zip and select the file.
- Scroll to install and go.
- Restart your device.