If you've just purchased a Google-compatible smart device like Google Home Mini or have a Google Chromecast device, you'll need to use the Google Home app to set it up.
The Google Home app is a convenient way to view and control your gadgets. The app is designed to only work with iOS and Android devices, which means you'll need to use another workaround to use the Google Home app on a computer.
The most common workarounds include using Google Chrome for Google Home or installing an emulator to use the Google Home app on your computer. In this guide, we'll show you how to use both methods to use the Google Home app on your Mac or PC.
How to use an Android emulator to use the Google Home app on Mac and PC
You can emulate the Android operating system on your Mac and PC for free using BlueStacks. However, there are many other Android emulators you can use such as VirtualBox, Genmony, or Android Studio that can help you run Android apps on your computer.
For this guide, we will walk you through the steps to install and configure BlueStacks to use the Google Home app or other Android apps on your Mac and PC.
How to use the Google Home app for Mac
To get the Google Home app for Mac, you need to download, install and run BlueStacks for macOS on your Mac.
For this guide, we're using a Mac with Big Sur, which requires a different version of BlueStacks than the macOS versions.
Note: For the best experience, make sure your macOS is running the latest update and that you have downloaded the correct BlueStacks version for your Mac.
- After downloading BlueStacks for macOS, double-click on the BlueStacks installer icon to open the installer.
- click on apri if you are asked for permission to open the installer.
- Select Install now.
- Enter the username and password of the your Mac, then select Install Helper.
- Select Open Security and Privacy if you see a system extension blocked popup.
- Then, select Apple > Pref Renze > Security and privacy. Click the lock icon under the Security and Privacy window, then select the tab General.
- Select Allow next to system software from developer "Oracle America, inc." has been blocked from loading.
- If prompted, select Restart. If you don't see this message, manually restart your Mac.
- Select Cancel if you see an interrupted restart message from BlueStacks. Back to the card General in Security and privacy and select Restart. Once your Mac restarts, BlueStacks will be ready to use. Start the program and select Let's go.
- Sign in with a Google account, select the icon of Google Play Store on the emulated Android desktop and search for the app Google Home. Select Install, then select Open to the Google Home app download finishes.
Once you've set up BlueStacks and the Google Home app on your Mac, it's just a matter of setting up your connected devices.
If you're setting up Google Home for Mac on a Google Chromecast device, follow our guide on how Chromecast works and how to use Chromecast to cast your entire desktop to your TV.
How to use the Google Home app for PC
If you have a Windows PC, you'll still need to install and run an Android emulator for Windows 10 to use the Google Home app.
- Check if your PC is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, then download the version of BlueStacks for your computer.
- Once downloaded, install BlueStacks and run the program on your PC.
Open the Google Play Store, sign in using your Google account, search for the Google Home app and select Install now.
You can now use Google Home for PC to set up, manage and use your connected devices or even play Android games on your PC.
How to use the Google Home app on Mac and PC via Google Chrome
You can use some features of the Google Home app through Google Chrome but you cannot set up Google Home devices from the browser. The browser is limited to media casting only, but if you want to do more, you'll need an Android emulator.
To get started, you'll need to update Chrome to the latest version and make sure your computer and Google Home devices are connected to the same WiFi network.
- starts Chrome and select il menu (three dots) in the upper right corner.
- Select Guide > Information on Google Chrome. Alternatively, type chrome: // settings / help in the search bar or URL to open the setting.
- Then, select Restart to apply any pending or installed Chrome updates, then select Menu > Broadcast to cast your Google Chromecast or Google Home device.
Note: If you choose to use the Google Home app via the Chrome browser, you will not be able to set up new devices.
Control Google Home devices from your Mac or PC
We hope this guide has helped you use the Google Home app on your computer. We recommend using the Android emulator method as it allows you to use the Google Home app and access all the features of Google Home.
Let us know in a comment if you were able to set up and use the Google Home app on your Mac or PC.