Smart TVs became almost as important as a smartphone and are now an indispensable part in many of our living rooms. Not only do they show TV in High Definition or Ultra HD, but they can access the internet, browse the web, use apps like Netflix and Hulu, and some can even play games. Smart TVs, like most smart devices, will need to be updated, and that's just what we'll see in this tutorial. How to update apps on an LG smart TV.
No Play Store on Smart TV - How to install apps? [Resolved]
I'll also show you how to update your TV's firmware and set everything up to handle it so you never have to. LG uses the WebOS platform which makes it easy to develop apps and update them. It is a reliable platform that works on multiple types of TVs and is compatible with a wide range of apps. LG App Store is the testimony of how many developers want to work with LG!
To update apps on an LG smart TV, you must first check for new firmware as the apps may not work properly if they are updated for the new firmware but it is not yet available.
UPDATE FIRMWARE ON AN LG SMART TV
Smart TV firmware is released periodically to add new features, strengthen existing code, fix bugs, or make it more stable or secure.
They are not released as often as phone firmware, for example, but according to a schedule that only LG knows.
Similar to updating your phone, apps may need to be updated after a firmware update. Much depends on what has changed in the firmware.
If it was a big change, LG's apps likely need to be updated to stay compatible. Since the apps are inside the firmware, it makes sense to update the firmware first and then the apps.
To update the firmware on an LG smart TV:
- Record the model number of your TV from the label on the back or from the user manual.
- Turn on the TV and use the remote to access Home.
- Go to Installation and Support.
- Match the firmware to your TV model and select Download and Install.
How to download the Play Store on your Smart TV?
If the problem persists, but a newer firmware version is available, you can download it to your computer and load it from a USB drive.
- Go to the LG support website.
- Enter your TV model in the Model Number box.
- Select the firmware version you want to download and select Download this file.
- Copy that file to the USB drive without making any changes.
- Insert the USB drive into the TV and let it detect the drive.
- Go to Setup and Support with the remote control.
- Select Install from File and point the TV at the USB drive.
- Allow TV update.
Reading from the USB will take a few minutes, but the TV should install the new firmware, reboot a couple of times, and then load using the new install.
How to sideload apps
UPDATE APP ON AN LG SMART TV
Now your firmware is up to date, you can safely update your apps. You will need to load LG Content Store for this to happen. If you are using a newer smart TV, the apps should update automatically and you don't need to do anything.
If the apps don't update, open each one and request a check, you may or may not see an update notification.
LG smart TV apps generally take care of themselves. They automatically update and will automatically detect a change in the firmware once the TV itself is updated.
It is a very simple system that requires minimal management. In some cases an app won't update, just uninstall and reinstall it again.
SET AUTOMATIC UPDATES ON AN LG SMART TV
My parents' LG smart TV that I'm using for this tutorial had automatic updates turned on before, but I know that's not always the case. If you need to set it up and have it update automatically, here's what you should do.
- Turn on the TV and select Home on the remote.
- Select Settings and All Settings.
- Select General and About TV.
- Check the box next to Allow automatic updates.
- You can check for updates while you are there if you haven't just updated everything using this tutorial.
Once the automatic updates are set, the TV manages itself. Whenever you turn it on and it has a wireless connection, it will check for firmware and app updates. Now you don't have to do anything to keep it updated!