You can turn off parental controls on your Android device by going to the Google Play Store or the Family Link app. Parental controls on an Android phone or tablet limit the type of apps and movies a user can download and require parents to approve any in-app purchases.
If you use the Google Family Link app to set up Parental Controls, you can't turn off Parental Controls until your child is 13 years old. The internet is a crazy place and kids can't browse alone.
That's why Android devices, like all good hardware, offer parental controls to restrict a child's access to movies, TV shows, and apps. Google also offers its Family Link app, which offers even stricter controls.
However, there may come a point where you feel your child is ready to start surfing without restrictions. Fortunately, your Android device offers you the option to turn off these parental controls when you're ready.
Here's how to turn off parental controls on your Android device via the Play Store or using the Google Family Link app.
Can I set parental controls on Google Chrome
How to turn off parental controls on an Android device using Google Play Store
- Open the Google Play Store app and tap the menu icon, consisting of three overlapping lines.
- Tap "Settings" in the menu, then scroll and tap "Parental Controls".
- Now you can tap on each category, such as “Apps & Games” or “Movies”, enter your parental control PIN and change what's allowed on a case-by-case basis. You can also tap the toggle switch at the top to completely disable parental controls.
Again, you will need the parental control PIN to do this. If you don't have the pin, you will need to clear the app data. This won't delete any of your downloads, but it will clear your search history and clear all parental control settings. To do this:
- Open the Settings app on your Android device and tap "Apps" or "Apps & Notifications".
- Select the Google Play Store app from the full list of apps.
- Tap "Storage", then press "Clear Data".
How to turn off parental controls on an Android device using l’app Google Family Link
If you use Google Family Link to monitor and limit your child's online activity, you can also turn off these controls. That is, as long as your child is 13 or older. If your child's age in the app is set to under 13, the controls will need to remain active.
However, even these controls can still be changed to be less restrictive. Here's how you should do it.
- On your Android device, open the Family Link app and tap the child's account in question.
- Tap "Manage Settings", then tap "Controls on Google Play". This menu will allow you to change your parental control, even if your child is under 13.
- To turn off all parental controls for a child over 13, go back to the 'Manage Settings' menu and tap 'Account Information'.
- Tap "Stop Supervision". Check the box that confirms your choice and tap "Stop Supervision" again.