The Discord app has become so popular with gamers that it needs no introduction. With millions of users around the world, Discord stands out as one of the best platforms for audio, video, image and text communication between users.
How to use your PS4 without a controller
It is known that Discord can be installed on PC and various other platforms. But can it also be used on PS4 consoles? This article will help you set up your PlayStation 4 so that you can talk to your friends on Discord while playing your favorite games on this console.
USING DISCORD ON PLAYSTATION 4
Unfortunately, the Discord app does not currently support the PlayStation 4 console. But as it turns out, that could change very soon.
Discordians around the world have posted requests and opened dozens of topics on Discord's official support page, asking the developers to make the PS4 version of the app. Since Discord pays close attention to community requests and complaints, we may get the official Discord app for PlayStation 4 and many other consoles.
Does that mean you have to wait for the app to be released to be able to use Discord on PS4? Absolutely not.
There is still a way to use Discord on PlayStation 4, provided you have all the necessary equipment. The installation may take some time, but it will be worth it.
So, if you want to follow the tutorial below, you need to buy a headset that has an optical cable and supports USB connection. You will also need a mixer or similar device to switch the audio between your PC and PS4. For example, you can use the A40 TR headset with the PRO TR mixamp as they have proven to be a good match for this type of setups.
In addition to the two items and the accompanying cables (3,5mm Male to Male, 3,5mm Aux Splitter, 3,5mm to 3,5mm with Volume), you'll need to install Discord on your PC.
How to record video clips on PS4
Once you've got all the necessary elements in place, it's time to set everything up. Let's start by connecting your PS4 console with your mixamp. Here's all you need to do.
- Turn on your PlayStation 4 console.
- Connect one side of the optical cable to the PlayStation 4 and the other to the back of your mixer. You should make sure your mixamp is set to Console mode. If you've connected everything correctly, the headset will be assigned as a USB device. You will see a message on the screen notifying you of this.
- Go to the PlayStation 4 settings.
- Scroll down and select the Audio & Display option.
- Select Audio Output Settings.
- Select the digital output port and change it to optical. It is recommended to select the Dolby 5.1 channel.
- Then select Audio Format and select Bitstream (Dolby).
- Go back to the Settings home screen and select Devices.
- Open audio devices.
- Make sure the headphone output is set to Audio Chat.
Now it's time to connect everything to the PC.
- Turn on your computer.
- Connect one side of the USB cable to the mixer and the other to the PC. Make sure your mixamp is now in PC mode.
- Open the Discord app on your computer.
- Go to Settings.
- Select the Voice option.
- In the Input Device section, select the headset you are using.
- Leave the output device set to Default.
- Click Finish to finish.
You should now be able to speak freely via Discord and use PlayStation 4 audio at the same time.
How to stream from your PS4 to your PC
However, it will not be possible for you to hear any other audio playing on your computer. This is because PlayStation 4 is using the main audio source on your mixer. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to this problem.
All you need to do is plug the 3,5 to 3,5mm cable into the speaker port on the PC and the AUX port on the mixer. Then change the output device from step number 7 to Speakers and voila - problem solved.
CHAT ON DISCORD WHILE ENJOYING YOUR FAVORITE PLAYSTATION 4 GAMES
With these steps, you can play your favorite PlayStation 4 games while using Discord at the same time. The installation may take some time, but it will be worth it.
This method will be fine until the official version of the PlayStation 4 app comes to life.
Were you able to set everything up? Which headphone and mixamp are you using? Tell us in the comments below.