When setting up a Discord account, you are required to link a valid phone number for verification purposes. It acts as an effective anti-spam tool that helps you regain control if you fall victim to hacking. However, some people are reluctant to share their private data with such a large platform. So is there any way to avoid it?
The short answer is no. Discord does not allow you to disconnect your phone number as it is a prerequisite for account authentication. You can consider two workarounds: replace the number or delete the entire account. In this article, we'll show you how to do both with step-by-step instructions and explore a potential workaround.
How to unblock someone on Discord
How to disconnect a phone number from Discord?
The platform automatically deactivates accounts that are not linked to a valid phone number. We'll cover the reasons behind this in more detail, but for now, let's say it's programmed to do so.
As mentioned, there are two ways around this problem. If you are really determined to disconnect your private number from the platform, you can simply delete your account. This way, all your data will be permanently removed from Discord and you won't have to worry about misuse. The other solution is to replace your digits with a different phone number.
Fortunately, both methods are pretty straightforward. Read on for a detailed analysis.
You can delete your Discord account in seconds. Even better, you can do this with different devices. Both desktop and mobile apps are compatible with multiple operating systems. The official version of Android is on Google Play, while Windows users can download the desktop app from the official site. For iOS and macOS devices, go to the App Store.
The interface is more or less identical for all versions and the same is true for the features. Of course, you don't have to download Discord to be able to delete your account. You can use the web app instead. However, choose to do so, follow these steps:
- Launch the app or log into your account from your favorite browser.
- Find the little gear icon for "Settings". Click to open the options menu.
- Select "My Account" from the list, then click "Remove Account".
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Delete Account".
Telephone number replacement
Discord does not require you to link your personal number to the account per se. You can also connect your work phone or a random number you barely use, as long as it's active.
That said, if you want to replace the current digits on your account, that's not a problem at all. Just follow these simple steps:
- Open the Discord app or log in via browser.
- Click on the "Settings" icon in the shape of a small gear.
- From the drop-down list, select "My Account".
- Find the field containing your phone number and delete it. Enter the alternate digits.
- Wait a few seconds to receive the text message with the verification code. Copy the figures to the clipboard. Sometimes Discord will automatically enter the code and complete the process.
- Paste the verification code into the corresponding field to replace the old number.
Not only is this a super simple method, but it can come in handy when you switch service providers.
How to stream Netflix on Discord
How to transfer ownership of a Discord account?
If you have decided to permanently deactivate your account, you need to understand what to do with your servers. It would be a shame to close a thriving forum, let alone dissolve a close-knit community.
Fortunately, your Discord legacy can live on even after you delete your account. All you need to do is transfer ownership to a new administrator.
The platform allows you to hand over keys to a user of your choice, as long as they are part of the server. It can be a friend or an active member of the community.
Choose carefully because, from then on, this person will have full control of the forum. If they are too casual about their administrative responsibilities, they can undo all your hard work.
Once you've decided on a reliable successor, here's what you should do:
- Open the server you want to transfer to another administrator.
- Click on the server name and select "Server Settings" from the options menu.
- Scroll down to the "User Management" section and open the "Members" category.
- Browse the member list and find the person you want to be the new admin. Hover your cursor over your username and click on the three vertical dots on the right side.
- Select “Transfer Ownership” from the drop-down options menu.
How to delete a server on Discord?
Of course, not all servers deserve support. If you've created an abandoned group chat, there's no point in transferring ownership. Instead, you can simply delete the server before deactivating your account. Here's how to do it:
- Open the server and go to the server name. Click to access a drop-down list.
- Click on "Server Settings".
- Find "Delete Server" in the list of options.
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter the server name in the dialog box.
- Confirm by clicking on the red “Delete” button in the lower right corner. If 2FA verification is enabled, you need to type in the authentication code.
Mind you, once the server is deleted, there is no going back. He will forever be lost in the realms of shadows with no possibility of resurrection.
How to Record Discord Audio
Can I Bypass Discord Phone Verification?
As we said, you don't have to link your real number to your Discord account. There is a way to bypass the platform's phone verification system by using apps like DoNotPay.
Simply put, DoNotPAy creates so-called "burner phones" or temporary phone numbers that you can connect to a variety of servers. The app allows you to create an account on any platform without having to reveal your actual contact information. It's a super nifty feature, especially if you're wary of hackers and personal data abuse.
To access the product, all you need to do is create a DoNotPay account. From there on, you can use the unique phone burner to bypass any verification requirements, including Discord. Just follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your account with your chosen browser.
- Scroll down to the Burner Phone section and type Discord in the dialog box.
- Choose "Create a temporary phone" from the list of options.
- After requesting a verification code from Discord, click to view the text message.
Note that the number will expire after only ten minutes. You have to be quick with submitting the verification code if you want this method to work.
Also, Discord will sometimes send you a message stating that your phone number is invalid. This happens for the following reasons:
- You have chosen an invalid country code for your phone number.
- The number is recognized as fake and subsequently blocked.
- You are using a landline or VOIP number (only works with mobile phones).
- Another Discord account has the same phone number.
Why do I need a phone number for my Discord account?
With Discord, you can create an entire online community and interact with your friends, family or other players across multiple servers. However, once a channel is made public, there is a risk that it will attract spammers who can spoil the fun by flooding it with meaningless content.
This is why Discord implements a number of security measures, including two-factor authentication (2FA) and phone verification.
While it may sound annoying, it is an effective way to ensure the safety of your data. It also helps eliminate bots, as their presence on a server can lead to more text scams and other hacker attacks.
Discord is at your disposal
While it's not possible for a Discord account to exist without a phone number attached, you don't have to risk your contact information. If you are concerned that your personal data is being misused, you can delete your account or replace the link with a fake phone number.
However, keep in mind that the verification system has a very particular purpose. It is an effective security measure that is meant to protect you from scammers and spam messages.
Before you take the burned phone, make sure you are aware of the risks. With over 300 million active users, Discord is one of the largest platforms in the world. Without a solid line of defense, your account can become more vulnerable to hackers, so proceed with caution.
What do you think of Discord's phone verification? Are you reluctant to link your contact information to such platforms? Comment below if you know a way to disconnect your phone number from Discord without replacing it.