How to connect the phone to the PC. In this tutorial I will show you how to connect a phone to a PC through the use of proprietary software and features integrated into the Windows and macOS operating systems. With Fall Creators Update, you can connect an iPhone or Android phone to your PC so you can start browsing on your phone and continue on your computer.
Who wants to read a long article on a small phone screen? Windows 10 Fall Creators Update adds a new Phone section in the Settings app that allows you to connect the phone to the PC. Once connected, you can send articles - long or short - from your phone to your PC and finish reading.
How to connect your phone to your Windows 10 PC
While the Your Phone app must be preloaded or automatically downloaded on most PCs, you will need to download the companion app for your phone, known as Companion on your phone. Microsoft will send an SMS to your phone with the download link in it.
Keep in mind that you'll need to set up Companion on your phone and PC essentially at the same time, making sure your phone and PC are up to date, turning on Bluetooth on both devices and starting both Apps. You will quickly go through a short series of steps that will allow the phone and PC to connect.
To connect Windows 10 to your Android phone, start with the Windows 10 Your Phone app.
- In Windows 10, open the Your Phone app, tap Android on the right, then tap Continue.
- Enter your mobile number, then tap Send to allow Microsoft to send you a link that you will use to connect your Android phone to your PC.
- On your Android device, open the text message and tap the message link, which takes you to the app page on Google Play.
- After installation, tap Install, then tap apri (or find your phone's Companion app on the Android Home screen and tap to open).
- In the app, enter your Microsoft account information and tap Log in .
- In the next window, tap Go on, then tap Allow if you want to allow the app to access your contacts, manage phone calls, access files on your phone, and send and view SMS messages.
- Then tap Continue and then Allow if you want the app to run in the background.
- Finally, tap Allow to allow your Android device to connect to your PC, then tap Continue and finally touches end .
- In Windows 10, in Call Settings, you may need to authorize the Phone app to make calls.
How to browse Android photos and messages on your Windows 10 PC
The phone app allows you to manage photos, view and send messages from your phone. In Windows 10, open the Your Phone app. In the left panel, tap Photos, Messages or Notifications to manage those items from your phone. If you don't see anything, tap Update to see photos and messages.
How to make and receive Android phone calls on Windows
With everything set up, you can now start managing your Android phone functions on your PC using your phone. From your phone, in the left panel, tap Call. To make a call, search for contacts or use the dialer. When a call comes in, a dialog box appears that allows you to accept or decline a call or send a message instead of answering.
How to connect the phone to the PC via a USB port
With Windows, things are as simple as they can be. Just connect your phone to your PC via an open USB port on your computer, then turn on your phone screen and unlock the device.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and you should see a notification about the current USB connection. At this point, it will probably tell you that your phone is only plugged in for charging.
- After connecting the phone to the computer, a notification (on the phone) will allow you to prepare it for the file transfer.
- Tap the notification and select "File Transfer" or "File Transfer" in the menu that appears. If you plan to move media files, you can also use the “Transfer Photos” option (sometimes listed as “PTP”), which will treat your phone like a digital camera. After making your selection, go to your desktop and open a File Explorer window using the method that makes the most sense for your Windows configuration:
- Click the File Explorer icon in the system tray
- Open the Start menu and click This PC or Computer
- Click the This PC, Computer or My Computer icon on the desktop
Then look for an icon that represents your phone along with other portable devices and drives. Click or double-click on that icon and ta-da! You are looking at the internal memory of your Android phone. Now you can click and browse folders, drag and drop files between your phone and PC, or manipulate data the way you want.
How to connect an Android phone to a MAC
Do you have a Mac? The process for Android file transfer is a little more complicated, but fear not, because it's still pretty damn easy. The main difference is that before things work, you'll need to download and install an official Google program called Android File Transfer. To use the program, your Mac must be running macOS 10.7 or later, and your Android device must be running Android 3.0 or later.
- Once the program is installed on your Mac, just connect your phone to the PC, turn on the phone screen and unlock the device, then look for the same USB status notification as described above.
- Tap the notification and select "File Transfer" or "File Transfer". The Android File Transfer program should then automatically open on your Mac and you should be able to browse the phone storage and transfer files.
How to connect an iPhone to a Windows 10 PC: install iTunes
To sync your iPhone with a Windows 10 computer you will need iTunes. Apple's music player is also used to manage iDevices, such as iPhones and iPads (and older iPods).
Apple's iTunes is installed on new Macs, but on a Windows 10 computer, you'll need to download a copy from Apple.
- Open your browser (click the Microsoft Edge icon in Task Manager).
- Visit www.apple.com/itunes
- Click Download iTunes. You will be asked if you want to activate or deactivate the newsletter.
- Click Download Now.
- Open the Downloads folder and launch the iTunessetup.exe installer.
- Follow the installation instructions and open iTunes. Click Agree for the license window. Accept in the welcome window.
Once iTunes is installed on your computer, you can use it to manage your files and backup your iPhone. When iTunes is first launched, it will search for media files on your computer. It will collect all the music and videos it can find on your system. These can then be transferred to your iPhone.
How to connect an iPhone to a Windows 10 PC: sync your iPhone with Windows 10
Now you have iTunes set up on your Windows 10 computer, it's time to sync your computer with your iPhone.
- You can sync an iPhone with a Windows 10 computer wirelessly (via your local WiFi network) or via the Lightning cable. The first time you will need to use the cable to connect the iPhone to your computer.
- Trust this computer? will appear on your iPhone. Click Trust.
- "Do you want this computer to access your iPhone?" will appear in Windows. Click Continue.
- Open iTunes in Windows 10.
- Connect your iPhone (or iPad or iPod) to your computer using a Lightning cable (or an old 30-pin connector).
- Click Device in iTunes and choose your iPhone.
The first thing to do is click Back Up Now to back up your iPhone. Make sure that Automatic backup to this computer is selected.
You will see many options in Settings for apps, music, movies and other content that you can sync. Choose the items you want and click Sync when you're ready.
The media file will be copied from your Windows 10 computer to your iPhone. Note that any music or video on your iPhone will be replaced by a Windows one, so be sure to transfer your media files first. An app like Copytrans can help you if you have media on your iPhone that you need to copy.
How to connect iPhone to Mac using iTunes
One of the easiest ways to connect iPhone to Mac is iTunes. Syncing devices via iTunes allows you to move music, videos, books, files, and other content. There are two ways to sync using iTunes:
- Connect iPhone to Mac with a cable. Just take the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your phone to your PC, one end to the phone and the other to a USB port on your Mac. Then iTunes should open automatically.
Make sure you have the right cable. Different cables require different devices. The iPhone 5 and newer models use the Lightning connector (older models use the larger dock connector). The cable that comes with your iPhone fits perfectly. Your Mac is another story. All modern Macs have USB ports, but MacBooks from 2015 onwards, MacBook Pros from 2016 onwards, MacBook Airs from 2018 onwards use USB-C. Make sure your sync cable has a Lightning connector and the right USB type for your Mac (or get an adapter).
- Connect iPhone to Mac via Wi-Fi. This is a simple alternative to using a cable. If your Mac and iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, they can sync wirelessly.
How to connect iPhone to Mac using iCloud
If you prefer wireless syncing, take iTunes out of the equation and use iCloud. Just make sure your Mac and iPhone are signed in to the same iCloud account and have the same sync settings. So, any changes to the data on one device will be synced to iCloud and then to the other device, so they will always be in sync.
Log in to iCloud using your Apple ID. You probably did this when you set up your iPhone and Mac, but if you haven't, follow these steps.
Log into iCloud on iPhone
- Go up Settings.
- Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- Toccata iCloud.
- Sign in with your Apple ID username and password.
Log in to iCloud on MAC
- Click the Apple menu in the upper left corner.
- Click on System Preference.
- Click on iCloud.
- Log in using your Apple ID username and password.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to set up iCloud.
How to connect iPhone to Mac using Continuity
One of the great things about Apple devices is how well they work together. Apple's Continuity features allow you to do things like answer iPhone calls using your Mac or write an email on a Mac and send it from your iPhone.
To use Continuity, you need:
- Log in to the same iCloud account on all devices.
- Have all devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn on Bluetooth on both devices.
- Enable Handoff on both devices. On a Mac, go up System Preference > General > check the box Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
- Its an iPhone, vai su Settings > Generali > Handoff > move the cursor Handoff su on / green.
Other ways to connect iPhone and Mac
Syncing isn't the only way to connect iPhone and Mac. Both devices include features for sharing services and content to make your digital life easier. Some examples include:
- personal hotspot. This turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot and shares its internet connection with your Mac.
- Airdrop. Do you need to quickly swap some files between devices? Use this quick wireless file transfer tool.
- iMessage. Did you know that you can send and receive iMessages from your Mac? Open Messages on the Mac and log into your iMessage account.
- ICloud Music Library. If you subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match, or have purchased music from the iTunes Store, all your devices can have the same music using iCloud Music Library. Simply enable the option on your iPhone ( Settings > Music > move the cursor ICloud Music Library lit / green) and on the Mac (open iTunes> menu iTunes > Pref Renze > General > check the box ICloud Music Library ).