How to change the ringtone on an Android phone and choose between preset or custom ringtones. It only takes a few minutes to change the ringtone on an Android phone.
To change the ringtone on an Android phone, you'll need to go to the “Sounds & Vibration” menu in the Settings app. In this menu you can change your ringtone to your own or choose from a list of preset tones.
Your phone's ringtone can tell a lot about your personality. The default ringtone that comes with your Android phone isn't always pretty. You may find it annoying, too similar to another sound, or just want something that better suits who you are.
Fortunately, Android phones come with a plethora of ringtones to choose from. You can also set custom ringtones. Here's how to change the ringtone on an Android phone.
How to change the ringtone on Android phone
- Open the Settings app on your Android mobile device.
- Tap "Sounds and Vibrations".
- Tap "Ringtone".
- The next menu will be a list of possible preset ringtones. With the volume turned up on your device, tap to try different ringtones until you find the one you want.
- After selecting a new ringtone, tap it so that a blue circle appears to the left of the selection.
- If you want to add a custom ringtone, tap the “+” icon in the upper right corner of the screen and select an option from one of the available lists.
Android ringtones app, top 10
Your new ringtone will be saved as soon as you exit the Settings app. Note that if you want a custom ringtone that is not listed in the "+" menu, you will need to download it directly to your Android device.
How to put a song as a ringtone on your phone
How to put custom ringtone on your phone
Final report: As with all things Android, the exact options may differ from device to device based on the Android version and manufacturer.
- To change the Android ringtone, first go to Settings> Sound (may be listed as “Sound and Vibration” in some devices).
- Scroll down and select Ringtone. If you get a confirmation pop-up from Ringtone Manager, asking you to select a default app, select media storage. If not, just go to the next step.
- Under Phone Ringtones, you should find a whole host of pre-installed songs to choose from. Touch them one at a time to hear them before making your selection. Once you find what you like, press OK to save the selection.
Set a song as a custom ringtone
Final report: Again, the exact method for setting your favorite song as a custom ringtone on Android will vary from device to device. However, the tutorial below should give you an idea on how to proceed on your particular device.
- Pass to Settings> Sound> Ringtone as described above. Now scroll down and tap Add ringtone. You will be taken to the default File Manager app. Go to section Audio to make your selection.
- From here, select your favorite melody you want as the default ringtone on your phone. The song / track you choose will automatically be added to the end of the existing list and you can use it as a new ringtone.
Final report: only the first few seconds of any audio track will be selected as the ringtone. If that doesn't include your favorite part of the song, use audio editing software to extract that part and create a separate audio file.