I hope it never happened to you, but if your phone has been stolen at least once, you will know the sensation that enters your body when it happens and no matter how long it takes, it's hard to get rid of. Google has a pretty good tool called "Manage Android devices”Which allows you to geolocate the device, make it ring, lock it and enter a password, but it is useless if the terminal is turned off. Unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks of Android over Apple. If you have already used up all the bullets in the cartridge, you just need to do one thing: block a stolen phone via IMEI.
IMEI, to give you an idea, is like the chassis number of a car or the number of your passport. It's a unique number linked to a particular device which can be found on the invoice of the terminal, in the settings of the same or in the email in which it arrived at the time of purchase. It is essential keep this number safe (a picture of the box or the invoice can be of great help), because you will need it if you want lock your mobile with IMEI. But what is this blocking via IMEI?
How to find the IMEI code of your iPhone
What happens when you block a mobile phone via IMEI?
You should know that when a person steals a cellphone, they don't use it. He does it to sell it. Do you think the person who steals an iPhone does it without knowing that she won't be able to use it? The goal of stealing terminals is usually to sell them in pieces.
The camera, RAM modules, speaker, sensors, etc. They work perfectly and can be paired with other similar models. There is nothing you can do to avoid it, unfortunately. The only thing you can do is return difficult for a less experienced thief to sell or use the device, and for that you have to block it with IMEI.
All operators have a database of mobile phones sold with their respective IMEI. When you block a cell phone via IMEI, what you are doing is block the use of SIM cards in your device, so you can't call, receive or send messages, much less connect to the internet via data.
You can use your mobile if you can unlock or reset it, but it won't do any good, he can only play and use a couple of apps, like as long as it's connected to a WiFi network, which isn't always possible.
In summary: Blocking a mobile phone via IMEI is synonymous with connection. A smartphone that can't be used to call, text, or receive WhatsApp is a nice paperweight, and at least you'll have the comfort that the person who stole it won't be able to use it.
How to change or reset IMEI without root?
What you should keep in mind before blocking a mobile phone via IMEI
There are several considerations to keep in mind when requesting such a lock. And they are the following:
- You must know the IMEI of your mobile everytime.
- Before you do anything, get your purchase invoice and make a report to the postal police.
- If you bought your mobile with your operator, are you ready. Just call and ask to block it (they will ask you for the IMEI).
- If you bought the mobile as a private individual, you have to call your current operator to register the IMEI in its database. Since each company has its own database, it is impossible to lock it if it has not been registered. This is the first thing you need to do when changing operators.
- The fact that a cellphone is blocked via IMEI it does not mean that its content is inaccessible. If someone can find your PIN or password you can see your photos, videos, apps, etc.
- If you recover stolen and IMEI locked phone, something difficult but not impossible, you can unlock it without problem. Call the operator and request unlocking.
What is IMEI and how to see this number on any mobile device
I hope this information will be useful to you. Remember that Prevention is better than cure, so establish a biometric lock like fingerprint or face on your mobile phone and don't keep private information about it.