Windows 11 lets you pin your favorite apps to the taskbar, customize the Start menu, and add the Amazon App Store. In addition to many tweaks, the latter allows you to run Android apps on your desktop or laptop running Windows 11.
However, adding the Amazon App Store and (subsequently running Android apps) isn't an easy process. There are a couple of tweaks you need to make to get them to work. Once that's done, you'll be able to easily add the store to your Windows 11 system. Thankfully, it's a one-time process and doesn't take much time.
This post will walk you through how to add the Amazon App Store on Windows 11.
One of the main reasons for adding the Amazon App Store is running Android apps. To do this, your PC has to meet some requirements as follows.
1. Windows version- You will need to register your Microsoft account with Windows Insider and the Beta channel. For the uninitiated, the Beta Channel offers more refined Windows features ready for public release.
If you haven't registered before, please follow the steps below to do so,
Step 1: press Windows key + i to open Settings and select Windows Update from the left panel. To link your account, tap on the Windows Insider Program and the system will guide you through the next steps.
2. Virtualization: Virtualization is a fundamental hardware function required to run Android apps that you will download later.
However, virtualization may or may not be enabled on your system. To check the status of your PC, open the Task Manager and select the Performance tab.
To see the status, check the lower right corner of the Performance tab. If it's enabled, you're good to go. But if not, you may need to enable it.
However, enabling virtualization varies from PC to PC. And you will need to check your laptop / processor's online manuals to enable it.
3. Credentials: For now, you will need a US Amazon account to access the store. Of course, if you don't have one, you'll need to create one.
Let's see how to install the Amazon App Store on Windows 11.
How to add Amazon App Store on Windows 11
1. Go to Settings on your PC and select Time and language from the left panel. Under Language & Region, click the drop-down menu next to Country or Region and select the United States from the menu.
2. Then, search for “Turn Windows features on or off” in the Start menu and click to open it. Once logged in, select the “Virtual machine platform” option. And at the same time, uncheck the option for “Windows Hypervisor Platform”.
3. Here, Virtual Machine Platform allows you to create or run virtual machines in your Windows operating system. The Hypervisor platform, on the other hand, may interfere with the execution of virtualization apps. So, we disabled it. Save your settings and restart your PC.
4. After your PC starts, it's time to download and install the Windows subsystem. The Windows subsystem will allow your PC to run Android apps in the future. Thankfully, the installation process is straightforward and you need to follow the onscreen instructions.
Download the Windows subsystem
5.Finally, download and install Amazon App Store from the link below.
Download the Amazon App Store
Like the one above, the installation process is simple and takes just a minute. When done, restart your PC.
6. Now, all you have to do is log into the Amazon App Store using your Amazon USA credentials.
As noted earlier, the process doesn't end with adding and installing the Amazon App Store. You can download and install individual Android apps like Kindle, YouTube, and Instagram and run them here. Yes, no more web versions of these apps!
Amazon App Store Settings
Similar to the Amazon App Store on your phone, the store on your Windows 11 system also gives you the ability to customize it to your taste.
For example, you can enable Parental Controls when you install the app on your child's laptop. However, you will need to enter the app password to enable / disable it.
At the same time, you can choose to disable notifications and other news if you want to remove distracting notifications. All you need to do is click on the Settings option on the left and move on.
Can you use PayPal on Amazon?
With the ability to add the Amazon App Store, you can run Android apps on Windows 11. And the fact that all Android apps work just like your phone does is what makes the effort worthwhile.