Find out how to activate the development options on your Android phone and find out what these features are for. If you've ever wanted to make some kind of advanced changes to your Android phone's software, like root your device or unlock the bootloader, or any other type of modification that requires changing some element of the operating system, you're probably already familiar with it. with developer options o options development.
As Google itself explains on the official Android page, developer options they are a hidden section inside Android System Settings app, dedicated to allowing app creators to configure certain system behaviors, which can help during the application development and debugging.
However, over the years this setup menu has received more and more options, some also useful for users who don't fiddle with their device, like you and me. Therefore, today we have decided to write a complete guide in which we will explain step by step how to activate android developer options and which advantages we can find keeping this function active.
How do i activate developer options?
The process for enabling developer options on Android is simple as well no matter what version of the system your device is running; the steps to follow are basically the same in all versions of Android.
However, depending on the manufacturer of the device, the menu from which to access terminal information may be located in a different section of the system options. Be that as it may, in most terminals, these are the steps to follow:
- Open theapplication Settings o Configuration of your mobile.
- Go to section iinformation about your phone.
- Look for the section called build number.
- to press six times in a row on the build number, until a prompt indicates that developer options have been turned on.
That's all. However, having this option turned on will not produce any kind of change in system operation.
To activate Android Developer Options, you will need to go back to the Settings app main menu and go to the System section. There will appear a new option that was not available before, called Developer options.
7 Benefits of Activating Android Phone Developer Options
Keep in mind that many of the functions included in this menu have the purpose of modifying the behavior of the system, and therefore once activated they could cause abnormal operation of the device or system.
Therefore, it is advisable pay attention and do not activate or deactivate those options whose usefulness is unknown.
That said, once inside the developer options menu, we can make use of features that really provide benefits.
How to speed up Android via developer options
- Debug USB: this option is intended for developers to test their apps on their devices without having to fully install them. However, thanks to it it is also possible to carry out other processes such as manually updating our phone, uninstalling bloatware and many other advanced changes.
- Unlock OEM: once this option is activated, you can unlock the bootloader of your mobile phone.
- Services running: If you believe that one of the apps installed on your mobile is working when it shouldn't, you can see if it has a process or service running and act accordingly, by forcing the app to close or uninstalling.
- Demo mode: when this option is activated, the notification icons will disappear from the status bar and the coverage, battery or WiFi indicators will be displayed in full, thus giving a cleaner look to the interface. It is useful when you want to take a screenshot without showing several different notification icons on the panel.
- Animation scale: a useful trick to speed up the operation of your mobile is to reduce the animation scale, from 1x - by default - to a lower speed. Therefore, the movements of the interface will be shorter and it will appear that the mobile is working faster.
- Width minimal: if you think the elements on the screen appear too big or too small, you can choose their exact size. The higher the number entered, the lower the content.
- Force dark mode: From Android 10 it is possible to activate this option so that all applications appear with a dark theme, even if they are not supported.
These are just some of the features you can use when activating developer mode on your Android device. However, there are many more, and with each new version of Android, new ones are introduced.
Therefore, we will keep this list constantly updated to include the more interesting developer options available in the operating system.
How to disable developer mode?
To disable developer options:
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Tap About Device or Additional Settings.
- Enter Developer Options
- Uncheck the Developer options option.
You have done. If you hadn't previously turned on Developer Options, you won't see this option in your Settings, which means you haven't turned it on and you don't need to turn it off.