Windows 10's copy-paste feature is often taken for granted. It's as simple as pressing the shortcuts Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V on your keyboard. We use it several times a day to make our job easier. Everything seems fine until the copy-paste stops working on your Windows 10 computer. Obviously, you must have disconnected and reconnected the external keyboard a couple of times. But what if this happens on a laptop?
Some users have reported that copy-paste doesn't work in a particular app, while others have claimed that it doesn't work on Windows 10. Obviously I can't talk about all the apps involved, it would be a mixed bag. That's why I'll cover some common Microsoft apps that most people use. Of course, none of these tricks work if the switches are stuck.
Copy-Paste does not work on Windows OS
When you are no longer able to copy and paste text, files and folders from one app to another or anywhere on your Windows 10 computer, it is time to take a serious and close look as this is a level problem. system.
1. Reset the remote desktop clipboard process with administrator rights
On Windows, the Remote Desktop Clipboard process runs with the file name rdpclip.exe each time Windows starts.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc combination on your keyboard to launch the Task Manager and search for rdpclip.exe in the Details tab.
- Can't find it? Click File> Run New Task and type rdpclip.exe and check the "Create this task with administrative privileges" box. Hit enter.
- If the rdpclip.exe service is already running, right-click on it to select End Task, then restart it.
Here is another way to restart the rdpclip.exe service for those who cannot find it in the Task Manager.
- Drill down to the following folder structure: C: Windows System32
- Search for rdpclip.exe, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- You have not finished yet. You also need to search for dwm.exe and run it with administrator rights as well.
- Restart your computer and see if you can copy and paste in Windows 10 or not.
2. Restart Windows Explorer
This will close all open apps and windows. Save all your work before proceeding with this solution.
- Start the Task Manager again and find Windows Explorer in the Processes tab.
- Click with the right mouse button and select the Restart option.
In this case it is not necessary to restart, but we recommend it. Check if the copy-paste works or not.
3. Clear clipboard history
Clearing the clipboard history and cache files could also help with the error.
- Search for and open Command Prompt (cmd) from the Start menu. Click Run as administrator to run it with the appropriate privileges.
- Type the following command and press Enter to execute it: echo off | clip
- Restart your computer and check again if the copy-paste works or not.
4. App antivirus
An antivirus or malware app could be responsible for the error. Try disabling it before checking again if copy-paste works or not. There is no need to disable Microsoft apps like Windows Defender. Disable only third-party security apps.
5. Run the troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings and search for "Find and fix keyboard problems" in the search box. This is because we mainly use the keyboard to copy and paste in Windows 10.
- Click Advanced in the pop-up that follows and select Apply repairs automatically.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
This is also a good time to check the keyboard for physical damage and errors. Also, you can use the right mouse button to copy and paste text or URL to check if it works normally.
Copy-paste doesn't work in Windows 10 apps
There are too many apps on the Windows platform and talking about all of them isn't easy. If the problem is limited to just one app, have you tried reinstalling it? Always install apps from Microsoft Store instead of downloading executable file from unknown sources.
1. Send to Bluetooth add-on
This solution is for Microsoft Office users. Disable the Bluetooth add-on if you have one installed and check if that helps.
2. Webroot security software
If you are using one of their products, it could be the cause of the copy-paste problem. Open Webroot and go to Identity Protection> Application Protection and find the app where you cannot use the copy-paste function. Set it to Allow. I also recommend that you disable the Protect clipboard data option there.
3. Skype Click to Call
The Skype Click to Call plugin allows you to make Skype calls directly from your browser. The same plug-in is also responsible for causing copy-paste problems in the browser and even the Windows operating system. Remove the plugin and see if it helps.
The copy-paste feature in Windows 10 is a lifesaver for many people. Whether it's working on spreadsheets or transferring data, this simple feature can save us a lot of time.